Skip to main content

Radiation Therapy: The Crisis Continues

More from the New York Times on radiation safety (or the lack thereof.)  This time it's Evanston (IL) Hospital and problems involving three patients during identical stereotactic radiosurgery procedures.

Investigators found problems that should have been obvious to the rankest six sigma newbie.   Poorly-designed trays and mounts that interfere with an operator's ability to verify settings.  The need to "trick" the machine into thinking it was doing one thing when it was really doing something far more dangerous.  Complex components from multiple vendors, all kludged together.  Moving data from one computer to another and then to a third, each hand-off a failure waiting to happen. 

Says the article;
"(The) system is supposed to work this way: A treatment plan is developed on one computer, then transferred into another software system that, among other things, verifies that the treatment plan matches the doctor’s prescription. The data is then sent to a third computer that controls the linear accelerator."
Equipment manufacturer Varian offered a "...decidedly low-tech solution: a decal (!) to stick on the machines, warning operators to be extra careful in setting the radiation field."   Good grief.

Similar problems occurred at CoxHealth in Springfield, MO and at a hospital in Toulouse, France, yet  the lack of a central database for reporting errors hampered any information-sharing that might have prevented the harmful cascade.

And though a software fix has been issued, so far only 75% of affected machines have incorporated the fix.  What's wrong with the other 25%, I wonder?  Too busy meeting budget?

More on the subject of radiation safety from Steve Davis, Health Care Strategist:

Radiation Safety and Trust As A Business Strategy.

1 In 20 Radiation Therapy Patients Will Suffer Injuries.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Becoming Consumer Friendly In Five Easy Steps...Or Not

An article at hhnmag.com offers hospitals 5 steps to becoming more consumer friendly.

If you still think there's a secret sauce to your hospital becoming more "consumer friendly," these 5 steps are as good a place to start as any.  Unfortunately, it's a little like that old Steve Martin comedy bit where he says he'll teach you how to be rich. The first step is to go find a million dollars.

Step 1 from the article is realizing that "...a Medicare beneficiary with chronic conditions is different from a young mom who brings her kids in for an annual check-up." This is market segmentation for beginners, and, yes, one size decidedly does not fit all. I'm sure your marketing team's been saying this for a while.

Steps 2-5: have a strategy, metrics, a champion and resources. OK. Hard to argue with any of those.

But those things, alone or together, won't overcome culture. They're important components to be sure, but insufficient without a …

Another Day, Another App, Another Satisfied Customer

How might health care providers use technology to turn customers' mobile phones into information displays and ordering devices? A few years ago, the NY Times outlined how retailers are doing it...
"(Designer Norma) Kamali is at the forefront of a technological transformation coming to many of the nation’s retailers. They are determined to strengthen the link between their physical stores and the Web, and to use technology to make shopping easier for consumers and more lucrative for themselves.
...

Cisco Systems, the supplier of networking equipment and services for the Internet, is also a leader in the field. The company’s Mobile Concierge system is capable of connecting customers’ smartphones to retailers’ wireless networks — so a shopper could type “Cheez Whiz” into a cellphone, then pinpoint its location in the store." Ms. Kamali's boutique installed a technology called ScanLife, "allowing people to scan bar codes on merchandise and obtain details about the…

My Take On Anthem-Cigna, Big Dumb Companies and the Executives Who Run Them

After last Friday's Appeals Court decision, Anthem's hostile takeover of, er, merger with Cigna has but a faint pulse. Good. Unplug the respirator. Cigna's figured it out but Anthem is like that late-late horror show where the corpse refuses to die. Meanwhile, 150 McKinsey consultants are on standby for post-merger "integration" support. I guess "no deal, no paycheck..." is powerfully motivating to keep the patient alive a while longer.

In court, Anthem argued that assembling a $54 billion behemoth is a necessary precondition to sparking all manner of wondrous innovations and delivering $2.4 billion in efficiencies. The basic argument appears to be "We need to double in size to grow a brain. And just imagine all those savings translating directly into lower premiums for employers and consumers." 

Stop. Read that paragraph again. Ignore the dubious "lower premiums" argument and focus on the deal's savings.

$2.4 billion saved from a p…